My new raised bed for succulents


In June I decided to use some scrap 2x4" wood I had left over from
several projects to build a raised bed for some of my more unusual
succulents that I love so much. I wanted the raised bed to have the
same look as the planting beds we did for the 2010 San Diego Spring
Home Garden Show which had the appearance of a stone ledger wall look
- except made from wood. The size of the bed - based on the amount of
wood I had available - ended up being roughly 11'x5'. It took me about
5 yards of a soil mix I put together myself which included decomposed
granite, sand, pumice and compost. I can tell you, that was a back
breaking afternoon for me - hand mixing the soil then adding it to the
planter bed - Linda was very fortunate to be otherwise occupied that
day! Well I'm happy to say the effort was well worth it. I now have a
beautiful planting bed that has a varied collection of some stunning
and unusual succulents that I will eventually be able to gather
cuttings from to make wreaths and container gardens for our shop.
Before I leave in the morning to go to work I have a quick look at my
succulent bed to see which plants have grown and I revel in the ones
that are in bloom at this time of year. I love watching my 'babies'
grow!

Emma

Comments